HYALURONIC ACID: WHAT IS IT AND WHY IS IT GOOD FOR YOUR SKIN?
- What is Hyaluronic Acid?
- Different types of Hyaluronic Acid
- Why is it good for your skin?
- For whom?
- Where to find it?
No doubt you already heard of Hyaluronic Acid, it’s a great classic and one of the most hyped ingredients in skincare. HA owes its reputation to the fact that it can hold up to 1,000 times its weight in water and therefore works as an incredibly powerful moisturizer.
1. WHAT IS HYALURONIC ACID?
The name sounds a bit scary, but Hyaluronic Acid is not an ‘acid’. It will not cause irritation, stinging sensations or redness, on the contrary, it will even soothe. HA is actually a sugar molecule that occurs naturally in our bodies, acting as a lubrication agent for our joints, nerves, hair, skin, and eyes. Not only does it act as a magnet for hydration, keeping the skin well hydrated, plumped and healthy, but it also reduces transepidermal water loss.
2. DIFFERENT TYPES OF HYALURONIC ACID
Hyaluronic Acid exists in different types. Or rather: different molecular weights. The lower the weight, the deeper it can penetrate into the skin. This is the case, for example, with Sodium Hyaluronate, a derived salt form of HA that is more stable and less easily oxidized.
3. WHY IS IT GOOD FOR YOUR SKIN?
Studies have proven that Hyaluronic Acid is incredibly good at bonding with water molecules, making it a key factor in retaining skin moisture.
As the skin ages, it loses its ability to retain moisture, which can cause dehydration, wrinkles and loss of volume. You can compensate for this by using skincare products containing (low weight) Hyaluronic Acid: it retains moisture in the spaces between the skin cells, making the skin appear fuller and filling in fine lines and wrinkles from within, so that they appear less deep.
Studies have shown that it also stimulates the production of collagen, which helps to firm the skin. High molecular weight Hyaluronic Acid protects against irritations and soothes rough skin by providing intense hydration.
4. FOR WHOM?
Hyaluronic Acid benefits everyone, but especially people with dry, dehydrated skin. Because it is very gentle and even calming, it is suitable for all skin types, even the acne-prone and sensitive ones. Its antioxidant properties make it a must-have in any skincare routine, but especially for the over-fourties.
5. WHERE TO FIND IT?
The beauty industry loves Hyaluronic Acid for its magical ability to retain moisture, so you will find it in a lot of moisturizing creams and serums on the market.
At BEAUTICAL, we’re also fans of Hyaluronic Acid and many of our products contain different forms of it:
- Instant Lifting Serum contains Sodium Hyaluronate for deep hydration. You’ll see an immediate effect: it makes the skin look instantly fresher and plumper and fades lines and wrinkles.
- Our Microneedle Eye Patches contain the highest dose of Sodium Hyaluronate (more than 80%!) to intensely hydrate the delicate eye area for a smoothing and lifting effect.
- In our VOLUMFIZZ Peptide Bubble Serum, Hyaluronic Acid works together with other moisturising agents to give the skin an instant glow and a plumping effect.
- Our Eyelash Enhancing Serum contains Sodium Hyaluronate too. It replenishes the lost moisture, strengthens and supports the lashes and protects them against harsh environmental stressors.
Instant Lifting Serum (€39.95), Microneedle Eye Patches (€14.95), VOLUMFIZZ Peptide Bubble Serum (€69.95) and Eyelash Enhancing Serum (€69.95) are available at www.beautical.com.
And you, what’s your favourite HA product? Which one do you recommend?